Sarracenia Pitcher "Viability"

From: CMcdon0923@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 06 1998 - 10:57:49 PST

Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 13:57:49 EST
From: CMcdon0923@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia Pitcher "Viability"

I have a question for the list regarding the "usefulness" (not sure exactly
what word to use here) of Sarracenia pitchers, once they begin to die off. I
have several large flavas and alatas growing on my patio. Each plant has at
least three major growing point, with a total of 20 or more pitchers in each
pot.

With the advent of "winter" here in North Texas (today it's 75F), many of the
pitchers had already begun to die back, turning brown and drying towards the
tops. However, the bases are still nice and green.

The main question is, are these pitchers still absorbing the nutrients from
their trapped contents since the bases, where the 'soup' would collect, are
still (apparently) healthy and alive? I hesitate to cut them off if they are
still benefitting the plant.