RE: Seed Germination and Light Levels

From: Adrian Arnold (acarnold@acis.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 09:22:26 PST

Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 17:22:26 -0000
From: "Adrian Arnold" <acarnold@acis.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Seed Germination and Light Levels

> I, too, have had problems with algae eventually growing all over
> the top of
> the media. Charles B. has told us that grinding up pine needles, covering
> the top of the media with them, and then placing your seeds on
> top helps to
> reduce algae growth.

I have had this problem on and off for a long time but haven't yet tried the
pine needle trick. My most successful method for reducing or eliminating the
problem is to mist the seeds on the compost once or twice a day with rain
water. I apply just enough to ensure the surface is well wetted with a just
visible film of water so that the seeds are not disturbed. This also seems
to help germination in some cases. After a while, the surface of the medium
seems to change somehow since if you stop misting, the algae does not
appear. Any suggestions why?

Regards,

Adrian Arnold.