RE: D. filiformis

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 09:00:12 PST

Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:00:12 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: D. filiformis

>Having moved my D. filiformis from chilly VA to unseasonably warm SC,
>they have come out of their tight winter bud and now have leaves 2
>inches long. My VFTs have also resumed growth after going into dormancy
>and the Sarrs seem to be about to grow again also. Anyone have any
>experience with this? Will they go into dormancy again when it cools
>off? Worried in SC, Angie Nichols.

Hi Angie,

I don't have experience with this but do have a suggestion. You might water
them with ice cold rainwater during the day or at least at night (or both.)
We are bound to get some winter starting soon, well maybe in January.

David
Atlanta

P.S. If the plants are inside, another method that might keep them in
dormancy is to reduce the light levels.