Re: Does anybody know this carnivorous plant?

From: Fernando Rivadavia Lopes (fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 08:32:28 PST

Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 08:32:28 PST
From: "Fernando Rivadavia Lopes" <fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Does anybody know this carnivorous plant?

Hi Stefan!

>I found this reference and would like to know if anybody knows
>this NG issue or the named plant:

>Publication: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Japanese Edition
>Date: Apr. 1997
>Pages: 33
>Title: Going Home Strategy For a Carnivorous Plant
>Subject(s): Carnivorous plants
> Conservation
> Endangered and threatened species
>Notes: Contents: The carnivorous water plant < Mujinamo> was
> saved from extinction by a Tokyo biologist who took
> specimens home in the 1920s; conservationists hope to
> replant it in its former habitat.
> Included:Photo of <Mujinamo> devouring <akamushi>.
> Also included: Tataranuma, Tatebayashi, Gumma Prefect.;
> Seiji Uchida; Tsuneo Saito.

       The Japanese (Konnichiwa mina-san! Genki?) have common names for
all their plants and as far as I remember "mujinamo" is Aldrovanda.
"Akamushi" simply means "red insect" ("akaryu" = "red dragon") and may
be the common name of some water bug

       I don't remember the location details too well, but this species
was reintroduced into the wild at one location not far from Tokyo, which
I visited thanks to my good friend Takai-san. I don't know when this
program started, but I saw them sometime in '97 or late '96 and they
seemed to be thriving. They even put out commemorative stamps -- very
nice too!

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
S\343o Paulo, Brazil (once again)