Proboscidea and Ibicella germination

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 02:38:43 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 05:38:43 -0500
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Proboscidea and Ibicella germination

  Ross wrote:

 I recently received a few seeds of Ibicella lutea and Proboscidea
     louisianica. I have 3 questions I hope you can help with:

     1. any special Germination / growing requirements,
     2. the seed for the 2 species appear remarkably similar - is this
     right, and
     3. web reference sites that may assist. I could only find Ibicella on
     the CP database (perhaps the spelling of Proboscidea is wrong or just
     not a real CP)?

     Thanks
     Ross Rowe
     Canberra Australia

>From what I have read both of these plants come from desert climates, or
close to it. Both seem to need very warm constant conditions, a soil mix
containing a small portion of loam with the rest being sand, and some lava
rock. The seed may need to be cracked slightly, or soaked in water for a few
days, in order to germinate.

Barry Myers-Rice's CP FAQ may be worth checking out. I remember reading
somewhere that Barry either grew or encountered one of these species while
working in Arizona.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Hope this helps. With summer arriving soon for Australia this might be a
good time to give it a go. Good Luck!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio (almost winter here, but try telling that to mother nature.
25c expected by this weekend!)
markp@en.com