Germinating Byblis gigantea

From: Brian Cochran (byblis@webtv.net)
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 18:54:59 PST

Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 19:54:59 -0700 (MST)
From: byblis@webtv.net (Brian Cochran)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Germinating Byblis gigantea

Chris,

The best concentration of Gibb acid to use to start Byblis giganteas is
1 gram of Gibb acid to 1 litre of water. If you have a gram scale
obviously you can use less of each but in the same ratio.

The real secret to getting these going is to start them on moist milled
sphagnum moss. Once they have shed their seed coats (or popped open to
reveal their first leaves) you can move them to an open sand/peat
moss/perlite mixture -- Kept moist especially when the plants are young.

The other trick is to keep them relatvely cool their first few months of
growth 50 -70 F is good. After that they'll take as much heat as you
can give them.

I wrote a paper that is on the CP archives. It's probably a little more
detailed than needed, but the technique works. Many growers have
reported success following it. And I can attest to the hundreds I have
grown from seed.

Good luck. Write me privately if you have other questions.

Brian