nepenthes growth

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 14:27:05 PST

Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 23:27:05 +0100
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: nepenthes growth

Hi,

I've got a small N. ventricosa, that differ from my other neps. Instead
of having a single rosette it has three. In the book Savage Garden it's
said that when neps get older they can grow new rosettes at the base of
the stem, but my plant is only 3 inches in diameter. Is it normal for
young N. ventricosa to develop multiple rosettes?

I also got a N. ampullaria (Tayeve) which is growing nicely, but the
pitchers has small slanting mouths and the lids isn't flipped over like
the pitchers I've seen on other ampullarias. The plant is only 4 inches
in diameter, by the way. Are pitchers like these normal in small plants?

Looking at my nepenthes\264 leaf development I noticed that when a new leaf
unfoldes the next one can be seen at the base of it. What happens if the
plant experience some sort of shock and a leaf never unfoldes. The next
leaf will then be stuck inside the former. Does that mean that the plant
will stop growing or will the plant develop side shoots to counter it?

Regards,

--
Christer Berglund
E-mail: christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se