Re: Web page design

From: Alastair Robinson (Alastair_R@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 12:58:36 PST

Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 15:58:36 -0500
From: Alastair Robinson <Alastair_R@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Web page design

Bruce,

Not software - a book - but if you have a chance, have a look at the '10
Minute Guide to HTML' (ISBN: 0-7897-0965-1)... =

Because pirated software is so rampant in Malaysia, I've had the chance t=
use many of the available interfaces, but frankly, have found that there'=
nothing better than doing it raw, in Notepad (or Simpletext/Edit II on th=
Mac), with a browser open simultaneously to check up on the results.

HTML is the easiest programming language to learn as you probably know -
technically, it isn't even that of course. In the short-term, the =

programmes are useful, but getting somewhere 'with the dirt' is brilliant=

as there's more scope for creation. At the moment, my only use for them =
is
tables and image-maps, which are dead tedious. But yes, they can also b=
time-saving, which is important.

Have a look at www.tucows.com for free- and shareware utilities that make=

programming in raw very much more simple.

If you're interested, I can send you some basic java code that can be
implemented quite easily to create the effect such as that seen on Andrea=
Wistuba's re-vamped site (the buttons that highlight etc.) although I wi=
ll
be too busy to do so for the next week or so. I hope that I'm not going
overboard here.

Anyway, this book is brief and to-the-point, handling all aspects of HTML=

in a very digestible fashion, which is why I'd recommend it.

Regards,

Alastair.