RE: fall blooming Sarracenia

From: Tom Massey (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 07:24:30 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:24:30 -0500
From: Tom Massey <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: fall blooming Sarracenia

Well. I don't know what you consider long term and growing decently, but I
don't believe things are quite as bleak as you describe. (Then again,
Tampa is maybe 50 miles away but only a few miles south of Orlando.)

I agree with the idea that for Sarrs., success over a one or two year
period is not that meaningful. It takes a while for a vigorous Sarr. to
deteriorate. On the other hand, for my plants I usually gauge success by
larger traps in successive years of growth and appropriate flowering.
 Using that definition, I haven't had too much trouble keeping a healthy
collection of Sarrs. Now I will say that the insects seem to be a constant
problem. Scale, thrips, caterpillars, and just about everything else are
everywhere! Further south, (say Sarrasota) I would guess the lack of any
cool weather may be a problem.

On the other issue, I don't worry about an occasional fall flower. This
year, I believe that at least one of my rubras, alatas, and flavas flowered
in the fall (as well as the minors of course). My experience has been the
same as others regarding the height and vigor of the flowers.

Tom in Fl.