Re: bat guano

From: Marc I. Burack (marcb@companionfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 04:51:03 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 07:51:03 -0500
From: "Marc I. Burack" <marcb@companionfinancial.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: bat guano

At 10:02 AM 11/28/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I was wondering if anyone has used this on any cp's (especially
>nepenthes) and what was the results? Am told that it has a natural
>natural fungicidal and nemitocidal properties.
>
>Ed

Dear Ed,

Yes, I have used bat and seabird guano. I think you will find that bat
guano, is equivalent to using a weak fertilizer (usually an NPK of 8-4-1).
Seabird guano is usually a bit stronger (as high as 18-8-2 for the same
concentration).

I would stick to regular orchid fertilizer, since guano tends to smell, and
if you wish to spray it foliarily, it has to be made into a tea (it is not
water soluble-guano is also used as a soil fertilizer, but I wouldn't
suggest doing that with Neps).

Marc I. Burack
marcb@companionfinancial.com