Re: Re: Jan's CP Database (Adding comments on names)

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 00:25:53 PST

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:25:53 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Jan's CP Database (Adding comments on names)

Dear Dave,

> Well, it's not as though the person compiling the botanic
> opinions would have to do all the work of writing up opinions
> like Peter Taylor...

What else should it be like, then?

> We don't need new research to start this
> sort of inventory, but it could be used to highlight just what
> plants do need more reseach.

All of them. This at least is a very simple question to answer.

> I can't see why anyone wouldn't like to facilitate interest in research.

To facilitate interest? The problem is in most cases to raise the
required funds, i.e. to make research possible at all. I fail to see
any lack of interest.

> Aren't many of these comments part of articles along with
> species descriptions?

Each species description is a comment (opinion) in itself.

> However, a lot
> of research has been done and those authors have given their views.
> Could a seperate list of these opinions be made with a link to the
> appropiate set of comments could be made from where these plants
> are listed in the CP database.

How would you like to accomplish that? I appreciate general
suggestions, but please consider that their realization depends on
quite a few details.

> Now as to what comments are to be used, I don't know how to handle
> this sort of editting work,

But this is the important point!

> since I would guess that some papers are
> frivolous or redunant, but many of the pertinent articles or sources
> are/maybe(?) already listed in the database under each entry.

Which criteria do you want to apply in order to judge this?

> And permission to use these comments would also be needed.

If the source is given, any text may be cited.

> It does sound like a lot of work though.

Yes, indeed.

> Jan, do you dislike the idea of your database having such
> links (if they are even possible)?

Give me an example and I will tell you if I think it is
suitable/practicable or not.

Kind regards
Jan