Heliamphora Medium

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Sun Nov 22 1998 - 22:02:29 PST

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 01:02:29 -0500
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Heliamphora Medium

In CP Digest 1639 Stefan wrote:

Hello everybody!
I am cultivating Heliamphora in the substrat that came with the plants. Soon
will have to transfer them to new pots. What is the best substrate to be
used?

Thanks Stefan

I have had really good results with the following simple mix:

60% chopped live sphagnum 40% crushed lava rock

In the bottom of my pots I put a shallow layer of larger lava rock chips to
facilitate fast drainage, which is essential to this genus. After awhile the
chopped moss starts growing again around the plant and will have to be
trimmed back occasionally. Two benefits to this mix is that the growing moss
keeps the humidity up around the plant and looks great against the green and
red of the pitchers.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@en.com