Re: what's the easiest Genlisea to grow?

From: Thomas K. Hayes (tkhayes@microserve.net)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 07:40:05 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:40:05 -0500 (EST)
From: "Thomas K. Hayes" <tkhayes@microserve.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: what's the easiest Genlisea to grow?

Dear List,

>I've been thinking about growing Genlisea.
>Which species seem to be easy to grow?

I grow the following with very little special care:

G. violacea, G. filiformis, G. aurea, G. hispidula

Anyone want to trade genlesia?

>Also, I'm curious- which species are the largest plants

G. hispidula is the largest of the four mentioned above.

> and which species are the smallest plants?

G. filiformis is my smallest

>Consider these issues before you answer:
> does it tolerate shade- easier to find a place to put it

I have mine in my nep terrarium along the glass sliding doors. Wouldn't
call it shady there, but wouldn't say it is virtual sunshine either.

direct link to a photo of the terrarium is:

http://www.tcscs.com/~thayes/photos/neps2.jpg

The lights were not on for the photo and most of the genlesia plants are in
white pots behind the the glass doors.

> is it forgiving when not watered perfectly

No..... not for me anyway. Which is why I just sit them in a shallow tray
of water.....

> humidity- inside my house aprox. 60%

I am definitely of much help to you I see... Inside the terrarium it
averages 80-95% since it is hooked up to a humidifier.

> dormancy- simpler if I can treat it the same all year

I just change the photoperiod and the temps fluctuate naturally with the
seasons. Nothing fancy.

> pests and diseases- any common problems

I haven't encountered any yet... And now that I said that, they will
probably all die.

So, IMHO I would say give G. hispidula a try. It is much larger than most
and it flowers frequently.... and it seems pretty forgiving.
Sincerely,
Thomas K. Hayes

http://www.tcscs.com/~thayes

dangerous_plants@hotmail.com