Re: Trying Mulch first Timer

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 16 1998 - 17:52:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 16 Nov 98 20:52 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Trying Mulch first Timer

Dear Dan,

> It's time for me to mulch my outdoor bog here in Michigan and I was
> hoping to turn to the collective expert advice. I'm using pine
> needles and wondered if they go right over the sphagnum moss. Will
> the needles kill or smother the sphagnum?

   Yes, you can lighly mulch the bog. However, I tend to use snow
as mulch and that works good for me. Probably the best thing to
do is use both methods. Lightly mulch with pine (long needles?)
and when it snows, scoop some snow with a trash can onto the bog.

> For the first time, I want to mulch everything VFTs, Drosera, Sars. Any
> fellow Northerners had success with over winter mulching?

   Yes, but some plants don't like these winters much. S. psittacina
can survive, but it doesn't like dry air at all. D.filiformis tracyi
cannot handle the cold. You'll need to take the Drosera inside and
maybe a coldframe will help the S. psittacina.

Dave Evans