D.botswana

From: David E. Heule (heuled@webspan.net)
Date: Sat Nov 14 1998 - 06:46:27 PST

Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 09:46:27 -0500
From: "David E. Heule" <heuled@webspan.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D.botswana

Hello to All,
  Just a note about D.botswana. I spoke with Peter D'Amato yesterday about
this plant. Again, he mentioned what history he knows about the plant, as
he said in the Digest. He also mentioned that it will go dormant in the
fall or winter and that no different water, light, or temp. requirements are
needed during this phase. After the plant dies back, the remaining stalk is
cut, a new plant will form. The plant will flower and self pollinate,
producing viable seed. It also reproduces readily from leaf cuttings.
  I purchased the plant from him about six months ago. It's now about 7"
tall, under grow lights and in the tray system. There is a nice reddish
color to the leaves. The plant seems to get top heavy the larger it grows,
so I have it supported with splinters of bamboo. (The green bamboo sticks
that you find in most garden centers).
  As usual, it's was a pleasure to talk to Peter, for he takes the time out
to answer any of your CP questions or just plain good conversation. Thanks
again Peter.
  Take care everyone.
Dave Heule