Re: Re: The Germinator

From: Adao Pereira (miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 07:52:06 PST

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:52:06 -0000
From: "Adao Pereira" <miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: The Germinator

Hello,

> I have not found it to be true that Nepenthes seeds need "very hot"
> conditions to germinate. Certainly it is not necessary to keep them
> at 38 C. I've germinated some seeds by keeping them in the same
> place and same conditions as my adult Nepenthes plants. In the summer

I've tried it, but I've never succeeded. Is there any trick to succeed on
germinating these seeds?

> they see day/night temperature swings between 22 C and 35 C. In
> the winter, between 14 C and 24 C. And they are exposed to light, which

Wait, wait, wait! I thought that where these plants grow, there are no
seasons! No winter, no summer, and so, the temps should be constant all
year. Am I right?

> Does the machine you mentioned have an opaque plastic cover, which would
> not allow light to shine on the seeds? If the cover is clear, then be
> careful that the incident light does not add too much heat. You might

I'm using one 50 W halogen lamp to provide light. It heats a lot, but never
more than 36 C.

> consider using the machine at its lowest temperature setting. I don't
> know what the effect of constant temperature will be....

What about lowlanders?? These don't like a night temperature drop, isn't
it?
So, what you're saying is to keep the temps around 30 C... Let's see.

Regards,
Miguel