Re: no question about it.

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 09:31:30 PST

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:31:30 -0500
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: no question about it.

Hello Marc, and list,

Marc reported:

> At the last record, out of the 4 plants that I "cut" (off the growing tips)
> 4 days prior to spraying the plants, 2 of the plants sprouted not 1 but 2
> dormant buds at the top. Now a week later, all 4 plants (different species
> and hybrids) have sprouted 2 nodes at the top.

I'd like to ask a question of Marc, about his Nitrozyme experiment.
Did
you cut the top off a Nepenthes and _not_ treat it with Nitrozyme, just
to see what it would do in comparison to the others?

> This is obviously not a
> fluke occurance. It is pretty safe to say, that if you cut the growing tip
> off a Nepenthes plant, and spray it with Nitrozyme within a couple of days,
> you are going to get multiple growing points off the single stem within 1-2
> weeks.

I'm intrigued enough, to want to play with Nitrozyme--please remind
me where I can get it.

Let me also report some of my own observations. On a couple of
occasions
I had hybrid Nepenthes which eventually grew into the "palm tree" form.
This
form is a bare woody stem about 25 cm tall topped with a rosette of
leaves and
the growth tip. Very ugly in my opinion. Being fed up with this, I
lopped off
the entire top of each plant and rooted it. What was left of each
original
hybrid was the bare woody stem sticking straight up out of the pot.

Within a week I saw green buds appear along the entire stem of each
plant.
Eventually the woody stems produced a lot of growth and the plants
recovered
into beautiful specimens. This occurred without any chemical additives.

Also I've lopped the top off of other Nepenthes vines that had not
achieved
the "palm tree" form, just to make more rooted cuttings. Invariably
these
plants sprouted one or two new vines just below the cut. This new
growth
occurred without any chemical additives.

So the phenomenon that Marc is describing can happen without chemical
additives. Maybe Nitrozyme can make it happen faster--I don't know.
But it is interesting, and obviously it has gotten the attention of
other growers besides me:

> To all of you who emailed me privately ...

Regards,

Perry Malouf