Re: white bugs in sphagnum moss

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 17:38:00 PST

Date:    Tue, 10 Nov 98 20:38 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: white bugs in sphagnum moss

Dear Peter,

> I've recently re-subscribe to the newsgruop. I missed reading all info
> and question the get throw across the board. I'm wondering if anyone else
> has these pest? There are a lot of tiny white crawling specks in my
> Sphagnum long fiber moss(that was rehydrated). There seems to be a lot of
> them, does anyone know what kind of bugs these are? and how to eradicate
> them? I've changes the potting once already, they seem to be coming back.
> Any info and help is greatly appreciated.

   I'm not sure of these creatures, they appear to be harmless to
nearly all CP's. It seems they inhabit the soil in large numbers
when the soil is still "fresh." After a bit, like a couple of weeks
or longer, there are many less in number. Otherwise, you could use
poison on them, but since they don't do much I wouldn't both using
poisons.

Dave Evans