N. macrovulgaris question

From: Brian Cochran (byblis@webtv.net)
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 05:06:31 PST

Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 06:06:31 -0700 (MST)
From: byblis@webtv.net (Brian Cochran)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. macrovulgaris question

The N.macrovulgaris that I have has been growing extremely slowly in my
lowland chamber. This led me to do some reading. But the only place I
could find anything definitive written about the plant was in Charles
Clarke's book. And here are where my questions arose.

Mr. Clarke lists the species altitudinal range as 500-800 meters. But
he also mentions that there are naturally occurring hybrids between it
and N. rajah. I thought this unusual for two species whose ranges don't
even cross. He also lists a natural hybrid between macrovulgaris and
tentaculata. And though there are some tentaculatas which grow below a
1000 meters, as far as I can tell these are not on mountains where
macrovulgaris grows.
Finally, Mr. Clarke writes that (according to Phillips and Lamb, 1988,
if I read correctly) the description for N. macrovulgaris matches the
plant listed in Kurata (1976) labelled as N. sp. But Kurata lists the
range for that plant as appx. 1000-1600 meters?! This would explain
hybridization with rajah and tentaculata but the altitudinal range
doesn't agree.

So, this posting is not to point out seeming discrepancies but to ask a
simple question -- Is N. macrovulgaris a true lowlander or is it better
described as an intermediate grower? In which case, it may respond
better to highland conditions.

The purpose here truly is for my own horticultural information , though
the rest may be good fodder for discussion.

Brian Cochran