Re: sub carnivores

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Sun Nov 01 1998 - 17:19:02 PST

Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 18:19:02 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: sub carnivores

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 clarke@hkstar.com (Charles Clarke) writes:
>Anyone who feels beleaguered by all this sub-CP business, do not worry:
you
>don't have to accept Jan's definition of plant carnivory if you don't
want
>to. I don't and the fact that some CP species don't produce their own
>digestive enzymes doesn't trouble me at all! :-)

FWIW, I am not at all bothered by "carnivorous plants" that don't appear
to secrete digestive enzymes. Any plant that attracts, captures, absorbs
nutrients from captured prey to its advantage is carnivorous to me. If
it accomplishes this with a symbiotic relationship with bacteria or fungi
that seems perfectably acceptable

>This is not to say that Jan's definition is invalid: it is entirely
>legitimate. However, it is simply one definition among several, each
>of
>which are accepted to varying degrees by different groups of people.
>For
>instance, most ecologists that I know prefer a broader definition to
>Jan's.
>No doubt Jan and many of his colleagues do not. That's fine - it is OK
>agree to disagree.
>
>However, I do have one complaint about your approach to this argument,
>Jan:
>the fact that other, equally legitimate views exist is never
>acknowledged
>by you in this list or on the CP database. With particular reference
>to the
>database, the implication behind this is that your views are not
>disputed,
>whereas in reality they are. This is misleading to readers who are
>unaware
>of all the differing opinions in this field. A simple qualifying
>remark
>here or there could remedy this, with the result that far fewer noses
>would
>be put out of joint!
>
>Party on, Dudes,
>

>Charles.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]