Ibicella lutea

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 09:45:24 PST

Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:45:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ibicella lutea

> I grew Ibicella lutea this summer and tested it using the 'film method' with
> my students and found that it seems to be insectivorous. My students and I
> will be writing something up shortly about our results.

Hi John,

Your comments are interesting to me. This summer I made about 50 tests on
Ibicella, plants which are accepted as carnivores, and a series of
noncarnivorous control plants.

My results were straightforward....

1)Drosera, Pinguicula, Dionaea, Drosophyllum all released enzymes.
2)Control tests and tests on non-carnivores showed no enzyme release.
3)Tests on Ibicella lutea and Proboscidea parviflora revealed no enzyme
release, although some emulsion damage was evident by the sticky glands
tearing emulsion.

I have described my results in an article being published in Carnivorous
Plant Newsletter (Meyers-Rice, 1999, submitted), but the basic results are
as I summarised above. In that article I also explored the possibilities
of other (unlikely) modes of carnivory.

Jan Schlauer was also unable to detect any enzymatic activity in Ibicella.

In summary, I can find no evidence that Ibicella is enzymatic.

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor