Re:Home Depot Neps

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 14:58:18 PST

Date:          Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:58:18
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re:Home Depot Neps

Dear Trent & al.,

> Workers at the various retailers don't care, and a lack of common
> nomenclature in horticultural circles for naming Nepenthes.

I do not think we should blame "horticultural circles" in general for
the bad manners of a small number of outlaws who just do not care
about naming the plants they distribute properly. In fact, most people
I know from horticultural circles are fairly careful persons who
really try to identify and label their plants correctly according to
the extant rules of common nomenclature.

It takes only a few bad guys to create great confusion. Not all
(I think not even a majority of them) who have to live with and to
suffer from chaos are responsible for it.

There are at the moment rather few names for cps of horticultural
origin (if compared to other plants of similar horticultural
interest). Hence, there is still relatively little confusion. If we
all try to channel future breeding/nomenclature into the rules
provided by the ICNCP, many of the mistakes made in the past in other
cultivated plant groups can be prevented. This is more or less what
the registration business with the ICPS is about.

Kind regards
Jan