Re: VFT Clones

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 17:58:46 PST

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 17:58:46 -0800
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT Clones

Patty Petzel wrote:

> Does any one know how hardy VFT clones are? The last few winters my =
> typical VFTs do just fine outside and come back in the spring quite =
> healthy. Last spring I got a few clones like Red and Green Dragon, Royal =
> Red, and Clam shell. Should I pull them and give them more protection?
> I live in Oregon's Willamette Valley where our lows usually don't get much =
> below 30*F and then only for short spells. Although, on occasions we can =
> get into the teens. Rumors-predictions have this winter colder and =
> wetter.=20
> Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I've grown VFTs in Corvallis,Oregon with no winter protection at all. It
helps if they are in larger pots so that the extra soil helps insulate
the rhizome; I've also grown them in cold houses with open doors in
Ashland where it gets alot colder than the Willamette valley and
sustained no winter damage at all. Make sure that they aren't constantly
wet though, since this will kill them faster than any low temps we might
receive out here. I'm west of you on the coast now and it's hard to get
mine to go completely dormant due to our mild temperature. So, what I'm
trying to say, is to leave them outside and if you hear in advance that
it's going to drop down into the teens, a layer of plastic, or plastic
pots placed on top of them should be all that's necessary. Hope this
helps.

Take Care,

Doug

Florence,Oregon