RE: Red Sphagnum

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 06:53:52 PST

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:53:52 -0500
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Red Sphagnum

> I recently received a small tuft of sphagnum from a
> friend. He was hiking in West Virginia and while "in
> the bush" found a small bog containing large amounts
> of very red, coarse sphagnum.
>
> The overall color is small amounts of bright green
> with a predominantly red purple hue. The growth tips
> are by far the most colourful, with an almost
> crimson purplish cast.
>
> What factors influence this colouration? My best
> guess is that there is a very high tannic content to
> the surrounding water table in this bog.

Mark, my CPs live outside and get watered from rainfall. When it gets dry,
though, I have to water my plants from the top. The sphagnum that gets
top-watered in the process often turns whitish-purple after a time. (I am
somewhat red-green colorblind so my perception of this color could well be
different from yours.) Even if I avoid top-watering in that spot, the
sphagnum doesn't seem to return to its normal color. The water I'm using is
100% rainwater collected in buckets from a downspout off of my roof which
has asphalt shingles on it. I realize that this might not be the cleanest
water from a chemical perspective but my CPs do fine.

I don't recall having ever seen sphagnum of this color in the wild.

Philip
URL du Jour: http://www.tifaq.com/