Re: Home Depot Hybrids

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 07:41:26 PST

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:41:26 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Home Depot Hybrids

Trent,

Thanks for the info. I think your assumptions of hybrid 1 and 3 are
right on the money. I'm not convinced hybrid 2 is N. x coccinea although
I could see how you might think that from my paltry description. It would
not surprise me if there are more than 3 hybrids being sold at chain
stores. It was owned by Robert Shepard from Los Alamos NM so perhaps he
could describe it better.

>The
>first one you describe as being similar to N. maxima, and is indeed
>being
>sold as N maxima, and is most definitely NOT N. maxima, but a hybrid.
>I have
>veru good reason to believe it is N. maxima X N. Superba, based upon a
>recent visit to DeRoose's Florida greenhouses. The second plant
>described is
>being sold as N. Coccinea, and may actually be two clones of N.
>Coccinea, or
>N. Coccinea crossed with another cultivar of the same parentage.
>Nepenthes
>growers here in Florida have dubbed it N. Coccinea "DeRoose". It
>produces
>pitchers larger and more heavily spotted than the old original
>Victorian
>hybrid. The third plant mentioned is being sold as N. alata, which it
>most
>definitely is NOT. General consensus around here is that it is
>actually N.
>alata X N ventrata. It has a distinctive, blood red, ridged and
>recurved
>persistome like ventricosa, and if grown in bright light conditions,
>will
>produce large, nearly solid red pitchers. Around here we call it N.
>alata
>"DeRoose", fully aware that it is not a true alata. This plant has
>flowered,
>and has been crossed with N. khasiana here in Florida. It is a female.
>The
>N. maxima X Superba has flowered male, and it has been crossed onto N.
>Splendiana (kampotiana X maxima).

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]