Re:Home Depot Hybrids

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Oct 25 1998 - 09:07:17 PST

Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 12:07:17 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Home Depot Hybrids

>At our recent CP gathering in Denver, several people brought their "Home
>Depot hybrids" and it was instantly obvious that they are not all the
>same. One plant looked very similar to N. maxima, another had rather
>squat pitchers with a narrow peristome and dark red splotches, while a
>third one had had tall pitchers with a narrow peristome that were reddish
>tinged on the upper half and green on the lower half.

These three hybrids are originating from Reginald DeRoose Nurseries. The
first one you describe as being similar to N. maxima, and is indeed being
sold as N maxima, and is most definitely NOT N. maxima, but a hybrid. I have
veru good reason to believe it is N. maxima X N. Superba, based upon a
recent visit to DeRoose's Florida greenhouses. The second plant described is
being sold as N. Coccinea, and may actually be two clones of N. Coccinea, or
N. Coccinea crossed with another cultivar of the same parentage. Nepenthes
growers here in Florida have dubbed it N. Coccinea "DeRoose". It produces
pitchers larger and more heavily spotted than the old original Victorian
hybrid. The third plant mentioned is being sold as N. alata, which it most
definitely is NOT. General consensus around here is that it is actually N.
alata X N ventrata. It has a distinctive, blood red, ridged and recurved
persistome like ventricosa, and if grown in bright light conditions, will
produce large, nearly solid red pitchers. Around here we call it N. alata
"DeRoose", fully aware that it is not a true alata. This plant has flowered,
and has been crossed with N. khasiana here in Florida. It is a female. The
N. maxima X Superba has flowered male, and it has been crossed onto N.
Splendiana (kampotiana X maxima).

Hope this answers some questions.

Until later,

Trent Meeks