Re: D. peltata/auriculata ID

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 18 1998 - 13:23:55 PDT

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:23:55 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. peltata/auriculata ID

In message <000101bdf974$a15a1580$5bdbb4cf@markp.crscms.com>, Mark
Pogany <markp@en.com> writes
>I have been growing 20 or so plants of D. peltata and D. auriculata in a 10"
>pot for the past year. They have been in a state of semi-continuous growth
>since November of 1997. When one dies back another invariably takes its
>place within a few weeks. From good advice supplied by growers on the
>listserve I have been keeping the pot in a moist state, letting the top get
>a tad dry before supplying more water.
>
>Anyway, my question. Is there a way of telling these two closely related
>species apart? Are the floral parts the only way? When I planted them out
>last year the tubers pretty much looked the same- red and globose. I have a
>copy of Allen Lowrie's excellent book CP OF AUSTRALIA Vol. 1 but it only
>contains a description of the Western Australian D. peltata.
>
>Some of the plants I have growing contain a small basal rosette and aerial
>parts while others lack this ground portion and have a pronounced reddish
>aerial stem. The lamina on all plants (the aerial portions) are green with a
>hint of yellowish gold.
>
>Thanks for any help!

Mark,

I've been growing these two species of tuberous Drosera for some years
now. I find them quite variable in all respects (production of basal
rosettes, leaf and stem colour, flower colour etc) with one exception
which I find totally reliable to tell the two species apart. D. peltata
always has hairy sepals whereas those of D. auriculata are always
glabrous.

Hope this helps.

--
Phil Wilson