_D. peltata_ naming (was: Re: D. peltata/auriculata ID)

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Oct 19 1998 - 17:24:20 PDT

Date:          Mon, 19 Oct 1998 17:24:20
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       _D. peltata_ naming (was: Re:  D. peltata/auriculata ID)

Dear Mark,

> The most common form D. peltata ssp.peltata typica
> (excuse my incorrect naming Jan, I can't remember if it is a form or a
> variety)

The missing rank is not a problem in the typical taxon. However, the
epithet "typica" is illegitimate. All typical infraspecific taxa
(those *including* the type of a superordinate taxon at species level
or below) at whichever rank must bear the epithet of their
superordinate taxon, i.e. in our case _peltata_. The names thus
formed are called autonyms. So the taxon you described in your
message must be _D. peltata subsp. peltata var. peltata_ (there are
no described forms of _D. peltata_, AFAIK).

Kind regards
Jan