Re: Drosera spathulata and adelae

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 15:17:57 PDT

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:17:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera spathulata and adelae

Hi Paul,

> I would like to know more about growing D. adelae and D. spathulata. Will
> misting suit these plants for humidity (I have heard that D. adelae dislikes
> this... ) ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul Ulrich

        In my experience, I've found misting of all Drosera tends to
decrease mucilage production over time. Better to maintain a high local
humidity for most instead, IMO.

        As for growing, D.spathulata is a total weed. They can easily
grow large enough to flower within the first season, and will do so over
and over and over! Anyone who's grown this species knows what I mean.
They give D.capensis a good run for the title of 'weed'!

        Hope that helps.

Chris

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences