Re: Did I do something wrong?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 14 1998 - 20:22:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 14 Oct 98 23:22 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Did I do something wrong?

Dear Preuchsuda,

> And they're fine, until last week I feeded
> them with cricket bought from store. After feeding them with that crickets
> about 2 days, the traps of Neptensis and Vinus flytrap turned brown. But it
> just happened with the traps that got cricket. And nothing happen with the
> Sarracenia. Did the crickets have some disease or being toxicable for my
> plants? And what should I suppose to feed the plant? If anyone have
> suggestion for thiss matter, please contact me.

   I think the problem is that your crickets proved too large for
the traps that you fed. Also, I feel that store bought crickets
are "dirtier" (meaning they have extra bacteria) from being packed
too close together in the store. Not that last bit is much of a
problem, but I hope no one out there is consuming these things
themselves! Anyway, try feeding progressively smaller prey to traps
of similar size, until you don't have this problem. The plants
don't need much food, since all they need is some usable Nitrogen.
Most of the time, prey is mostly a supplement.

Dave E.