Your VFT question

From: Zachary Kaufman (zkaufman@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 10 1998 - 00:26:53 PDT

Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 00:26:53 PDT
From: "Zachary Kaufman" <zkaufman@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Your VFT question

Hi Cliff.

You wrote the following inquiry about VFT growth habits:
>Many of the plants do not seem to produce the spindly summer tall
>leaves and instead keep the tight ground-hugging rosettes year-round.
>These are much prefered. Is this known to be genetic or cultural?

I grow a number of VFT clones. I have one that always produces long
leaves and some other quite distinct ones. For a number of years, I
was quite thrilled by this one clump forming VFT clone I had. Every
year the plant colonized my pot more and the traps that were formed
were bigger. It only formed small petioled ground hugging leaves to
my delight. Then last year, for some reason, it took up the normal
growth habits of your average VFT. Boy was I dissapointed. The
heck of it was, it was in the same growing conditions as always.
The plant had been flowering size from day one.

My feeling is
certain clones have gentic disspositions toward certain behaviors.
Its not generally purely a result of genes or environment. I
certainly find this to be the case when it comes to the different
VFT color variants. My all-reds are only all-red certain years.
My all-greens are only all-green certain years. My red-trapped
are only red-trapped certain years. My red-jawed are only
red-jawed certain years. However, my all-reds are never all green
and vica versa. Likewise, my red-jawed are never red-trapped and vica
versa.

--Zachary--