Re: Fly-traps

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 16:39:44 PDT

Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 19:39:44 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fly-traps

> Many of the plants do not seem to produce the
> spindly summer tall leaves and instead keep the
> tight ground-hugging rosettes year-round. These are
> much prefered. Is this known to be genetic or
> cultural?

Cliff, FWIW I have seen VFTs growing almost on top of one another in the
Green Swamp in NC where one plant was spindly and the other was compact.
Although this is hardly a rigorous test, it leads me to believe that
there is some genetic disposition towards spindly or compact growth
since the plants were growing in the same soil.

> One thing that seems to be cultural is inside of the
> trap color and the batch of peat moss used. I
> suspect it is the acidity of the particular bag of
> moss that causes this. Plants from the same seed
> batch planted under otherwise identical conditions
> have shown marked differences in color when two
> different bags of peat were used. Unfortunately
> there is no way to tell before buying the peat how
> it may effect color.

This has been discussed on the list before, and someone (Dave Evans?)
provided a nice, brief summary of our discussion that listed the
probable influences on trap color, in order. I think we decided that
genetics, sunlight and soil were all factors. You should check the
archives.

Peace,
Philip
URL du Jour: http://www.learn2.com/