you naughty kitty

From: Chad Christensen (chrst@srv.net)
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 21:43:43 PDT

Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 22:43:43 -0600 (MDT)
From: Chad Christensen <chrst@srv.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: you naughty kitty

 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
 123456789
  I have a pineapple plant, outside. Not long after I planted
it there, my 5 kittens started chewing on its leaves. After thinking
about that problem, I decided to try tobasco sauce as a repelant. Some
of the sauce was poured down the center rosette, and some of the sauce
was lightly applied to the leaves. While I was treating the plant, my
kittens wanted to see what I was doing. They smelled the t. sauce, then
turned and ran away. Since then, they haven't chewed on the plant.

  The ingredients of the t. sauce was vinegar, red pepper,
and salt. If I remember correctly, there is something in the
'red pepper' ingredient that stimulates the pain receptors in
the mouth of the t. sauce eater, the result is the hot
sensation and watery eyes. That may be the reason I shouldn't
rub my eyes or pick my nose if there's t. sauce on my hands.

  The sauce I poured down the center rosette did harm the young
leaves. Now, it has recovered and growing new leaves from the
center. The leaves that were lightly coated with sauce showed
no harm.

  Today, I lightly applied some tobasco sauce to one petiole
and developing trap of a VFT. I will watch for any harm. I
assume the t. sauce will have the same repelant effect as when
I put it on the pineapple plant. I don't plan to put my VFT
outside to see how my kittens react. The nights have been cold.

  I'll send an update to the mailing list about my VFT's
health, in a few days.