Re: Sarracenia growth in the UK

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 05 1998 - 18:05:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 05 Oct 98 21:05 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia growth in the UK

Dear John,

> one thing struck me as odd.
> Does anyone else in the UK/ Europe still have Sarracenias putting out new
> growth?
> I know that certain species have a second flush of growth, but this is half
> way thru September!

   Not at all! Most Sarracenia produce their showiest leaves after
slowing down or growing phyllodia (flat leaves, which conserve water)
during the hotter, drier summers. Only S.flava and S.oreophila do not.
My S.luecophylla, S. rubra subsp(s), S. psittacina have just finished
openning up the first flush of Fall Pitchers. What a wonderful sight!

Dave Evans