CP's of Australia - CD-ROM

From: SCTRFCS@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 01 1998 - 09:25:58 PDT

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 12:25:58 EDT
From: SCTRFCS@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP's of Australia - CD-ROM

<Is there any interest in publishing this on CD ROM instead of paper? <It =
can
be
<the cheapest method of all.

<Stephen Davis

I believe I did report several months ago that Allen Lowrie was pondering =
the
concept of recording all three volumes of his "Carnivorous Plants of
Australia"on CD ROM format as a project for some time after the print
publication of Vol. 3 (theoretically due this past August). I personally
would like to have both.

The current difference in quality between the two formats might only be of
concern to a limited number of =91botanists=92. Our Australian counterpar=
ts and
those of us having the good fortune to visit that country, may still prefe=
r to
use the book format for field work.

Is the powerbook (lap top) at the quality level where it can be used for
serious field work in plant identification. I don=92t know. Having worke=
d in
Western Australia in plant pathology some decades ago I do know that the v=
ery
friendly Australian flies would be appreciative of any additional nooks an=
crannies to shelter them from the searing Aussie sun.

With apologies to my remaining Australian friends.

Robert F. Sheppard, Los Alamos,NM