Sarracenia cold tolerance

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 12:33:20 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:33:20 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia cold tolerance

Hi Chris,

I doubt if your Sarr can survive -25 C in a Styrofoam box unless the box is
buried in the ground. S. psittacina is the least tolerant of really cold
conditions. I once kept a couple outside during winter submerging them in a
bucket of water. The top occasionally became frozen and the plants did
fine. Hopefully our Canadian and other far northern friends will add more
based on their experiences.

The southern Sarr require only a mild dormancy so if you can get the
temperate down to 40 or 50 (F) and reduce the light level for several months
that should do it. A garage works great if you have one. If not, maybe a
basement or closed room where you can turn off the air vents.

David
Atlanta