U. menziesii surprise

From: Glenn (rankins@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 06:26:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 06:26:28 -0700
From: Glenn <rankins@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U. menziesii surprise

Hi All,

Last weekend I dug up a pot of U. menziesii because I was getting
nervous about whether I was too early putting it back in the water tray
two weeks ago. No signs of growth yet.
Well, there was the usual tuft of dead leaf stems at the top and
surrounding a cluster of tubers around 3mm diameter and 4-5mm tall. So
far, so good. They hadn't rotted.

I noticed another tuft of fibers coming up from below. When I dug it up,
I was holding 4-5 tubers each of which were 4mm diameter and 45 mm tall!

I looked back through all of my CP books (two of Slack's, Cheers',
Pietropaolo's and Peter D'Amato's) , and none made any mention of tubers
so large. They just said the plants survived the summer with "tiny
tubers that are the size and shape of grains of rice."
Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. The colony is doing very
well. Does anybody know if this means I should be getting flowers this
season?

Glenn Rankin
rankins@ix.netcom.com