Sarracenia problems

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 09:37:25 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:37:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia problems

> Hi, list!
>
> I noticed that one of my Sarrs (an hybrid - maybe purpurea x leucophylla)
> is starting to show an illness (?) which some time ago killed my S.
> purpurea: in the oldest leaves, small black and translucent dots appear and
> spread, destroying the leaves. This thing spreads to the whole plant and
> sooner or later, it dies (the leaves dry). It seems that the leaves are
> being eaten by inside (like those caterpillars which feed inbetween the two

Hi Miguel,

This sounds very much like you have an infestation of a bug called
"thrips."

These little tiny insects crawl around, sucking the juices of your plant.
Characteristic damage are pale, bleached-looking patches that have a
somewhat dryish consistency. Small (1 mm) tarry brown dots will be
scattered here and there---exuded by the thrips. Take a look at the CP FAQ
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq364.html
to see thrips and its damage on leaves.

Barry