Queensland Tropical Drosera - potting mixture

From: Kg6ui@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 19:22:51 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:22:51 EDT
From: Kg6ui@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Queensland Tropical Drosera - potting mixture

Hello Friends!

I have discovered a potting method/mixture for D. adelae, prolifera, and
schizandra which appears to enhance their growing experience. As we know,
these plants live alongside streams, whereby they get a constant exchange of
fresh, flowing water. Especially when they live in darker environments,
stagnancy of air or water is a danger to their health. So, I figured out a
way to aerate their potting mixture for better results. I must admit that
this idea was taken from other cultivators' ideas listed on this net, but I
had to try it for myself to confirm what others had claimed before (and make a
few small modifications thereto):

1. Good drainage, and a fluffy, light, potting mixture are the key. On the
bottom of each pot, I place a layer (1/2" - 1", depending on the size of the
pot) of orchid bark. Then, I take some long-milled fiber sphagnum moss (well
soaked in RO or distilled water), and line the remaining bottom and edges of
the pot with it (trying to mix a little of the orchid bark with it on the
bottom). There should be a hole in the middle of the pot left for some 50/50
peat moss/sand soil mixture into which you place your plant, and bring this
soil to a mound at the very top center of the pot. Finally, take more soaked
long-milled fiber sphagnum moss, and generously dress the top of the pot
around the plant with it.

2. I use the tray method of watering these plants, but am sparing with the
level of the water. Usually about 1/2" or less water level, then let it go to
zero before refilling.

3. My enclosure for the Queensland Drosera is a 28 gallon hexagonal plexiglas
aquarium laying on its side, with a door at the largest opening (top, or
front, usually kept closed), and a much smaller vent, always kept open. I try
to mist the insides of this enclosure to help maintain moisture inside this
unit.

4. A little bit of filtered sunlight comes through a window into this mini-
greenhouse in the afternoon, and I turn on a 15 watt full-spectrum fluorescent
light in the evenings, until bedtime.

So far, so good. I'll keep you all updated as I discover more helpful hints
about these, my very favorite, plants.

And thanks to all those before me who succeeded in guiding me into this
direction.

Best regards, Debra