Eric Green

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 22:03:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:3:0 +0800
From: Peter Cole <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Eric Green

..
> Final question - has anyone heard from Eric Green
recently? He hasn't
> replied to my last two e-mails..a period of about a
month, now.
..
        I've been trying to Email Eric since my computer
crashed, to no
        avail, but assumed I still had a problem with my
mailer.
        If you're out there Eric, please drop me an
Email.

        On the subject of Email problems, I mailed this a
couple of weeks
        ago and it never appeared in the digest, so I
assume something went
        wrong.

        ++++++++++

on Mon, 31 Aug 1998 22:57:07 EDT CMcdon0923@aol.com
wrote:
..
>any wasp or grasshopper I spotted from that point on,
died on the spot! To
>prevent further destruction, I bought some bridal veil
material and draped it
>over each plant. It is sturdy enough to prevent further
attacks, but still
>allows the light through.
..

Sorry to hear about the pitchers - indeed, wasps can be a
pain at
this time of year, and with jaws designed for chewing
trees, they
can make short work of pitchers!

Just an observation on another use for bridal veil - I
made up a few
dozen drawstring bags of this stuff a couple of years
ago, and find
them invaluable for selfing Sarracenia - I just catch a
bee and bag
it over a new flower for a couple of days, thus reliably
selfing the
flower with no effort or worry of missing the stigma's
receptive
period. The bee can be released after 2 or 3 days, which
seems
long enough to ensure pollination. I usually leave the
bags on
for another week or so just to prevent subsequent
contamination from
other species.

  and...

A question for any plant geneticists out there (and
anyone else
with an opinion...)

I have been harvesting my Dionaea seed this week, and
have a
little selfed seed from Akai Ryu, Royal Red and dentate
plants
as well as crosses between the three. I seem to remember
that
the received wisdom is that these forms don't come true
to type
from seed, but has anyone actually tried it?

I remember there was some discussion last year about
alleles
vs. genes with regard to Dionaea, but can't remember
if/how it
was resolved. I'm not sure I fully grasped it at the time
- it's
certainly gone now.

I would have thought that there must be at least an
increased
likelihood of the respective mutations being passed on to
subsequent generation, if only because it is possible to
develop
new cultivars (eg: Akai Ryu,) by selective breeding, but
whether
that would be to a significant percentage of them I don't
know
(anyone know how many regular green flytraps Atlanta had
to grow
to come up with the one perfect red one?)

Unfortunately I haven't had much luck with my all-green
clones
(I've been a bit distracted...) but there are still a
couple of
flowers to try (it's been such a weird summer here
they've been
flowering on and off since May!) I wonder if the absence
of an
"anthocyanin gene" would make this a more reliable sexual
propagator - in the manner of antho-free Sarracenia for
example?

If anyone can shed a little light on this, I'd be
grateful.

    Happy growing,

        Peter
mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk : http:www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/cchome.htm
Cambrian Carnivores,17,Wimmerfield Cr.,SWANSEA,SA2 7BU, UK : tel 01792 205214
Carnivorous Plants,Seeds & Tissue Culture Kits - mailorder,export & wholesale