RE: Getting Started

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 06:40:22 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:40:22 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Getting Started

> I'm concerned that I won't know if I've killed
> them(since I'm new to this) or if they're going
> dormant. How will I know for sure?

It depends on the species, but for Dionaea and Sarracenia dormancy is
characterized by cessation of growth more than anything else. The plant
still looks alive, just asleep. I think applies to most N. American CPs.

> Also, do I let
> the soil dry out when they go dormant or just keep
> it damp?

Damp. Again, depends on the species. Please let us know what you're
growing.

> I also have a nice population of butterflies that
> frequent my yard and I'm a bit concerned about their
> victimization by the CP's. I assume they're
> vulnerable. If I am correct in this assumption, does
> anyone know if there is a plant to which they would
> be so much more attracted that they would resist
> seduction by the carnivores?

I have butterflies in my yard attracted mostly by butterfly bushes
(buddleia). I have never seen one get caught in either my Venus flytraps
or my pitcher plants (S. flava, minor, and rubra). I have seen moths get
caught in my big S. flava though.

Hope this helps. You might want to check out the CP FAQ at
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html.

Philip
URL du Jour: http://www.wenet.net/~scoville/svtmain.html