Re: Cephalotus seeds?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 16:55:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 17 Sep 98 19:55 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cephalotus seeds?

Dear Cristiano,

> I'm new of this group. Since I've found this Mailing List's Archive,
> I've quite changed behaviour with my plants! Although It's tiring for
> an Italian writing english (and also for you understand him, I
> think...), I've decided my subscription to this discussion group.

   I can understand you just fine. (Good English!)

> 1- I'd like to start cultivation of _Cephalotus follicularis_.
> thought that starting from seeds whould be a good chance for
> me.

   Well you may find that it is not possible to find a person who can
send you seeds of _C. follicularis_. It is rare for them to produce
viable seed in cultivation. Often, when a plant does make seed, the
grower will try to germinate the seed his/herself as it may be a long
time before they have any other seeds to try.

> I know that leaf and roots cutting are better ways than seeds to
> obtain new plants, but my opinion is that It's easier (and cheap)
> for everybody to send and receive by mail seeds than a package
> whith live sphagnum inside. Coud anyone help me in this adventure?

   I think Andreas Wistuba (Germany) has this plant available. If so,
you will find it fairly easy to order a plant from him. :) I bought
one from him last year and it has been a very easy clone to grow and
doesn't suffer too bad from transplant shock. (This is probably because
of the TC protocol and may change as it gets larger.)

> 2- What do you mean when you tell "bare root" ?
> (Any tranlation in Italian hasn't any meaning...)

How about "naked root"? (without soil)

Good luck,
Dave Evans