Re: Drosera burmanii

From: JDPDX@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 12 1998 - 22:22:29 PDT

Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 01:22:29 EDT
From: JDPDX@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera burmanii

<< I just acquired a pot of Drosera burmanni yesterday. I understand that it
is
 an annual, and that to keep it up in your collection you have to keep
 growing it from seed. The person I bought it from said that it takes 6
 months for the seeds to germinate. Is this true? How do you treat the
 seeds - do you just sow them in the pot? >>

In my experience, D. burmanii is one of the most invasive sundew weeds in the
greenhouse. Just sprinkle seeds on damp media, keep it in a warm, bright
area, and you'll never be without them. I find I spread them unwittingly
since the seed is so tiny. Germination is about 6 weeks.

Jeff Dallas
Portland, OR