Re:How Cold for Highland Neps?

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Sep 12 1998 - 20:03:48 PDT

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 23:03:48 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:How Cold for Highland Neps?

Concerning the Nepenthes sanguinea producing small pitchers over the course
of the summer--warm temperature are most likely the reason. Possibly spells
of low humidity will cause small pitchers. The red coloring is best when
nights are cool. Low night temperature into the 50's F is ideal for N.
sanguinea, so expect a marked improvement in leaf and pitcher size. Best not
to let the temperature fall below 45 F, but sanguinea is tough and can take
it for awhile. If nights get down into this below 50 range, try to balance
with nice warm days- say around 80 F, coupled with 75 % + relative humidity.

Here in Florida, highlanders do best in winter. My "greenhouse" never drops
below 52 F in the winter, because my N sanguinea and maximas share space
with N. bicalcarata and rafflesianas. I have no choice but to split the
difference where temps are concerned. When temperatures at night are down
into the lower 50's , stop the air circulation to prevent any possible wind
burn.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Fl