re: P. heterophylla

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 05:37:15 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 07:37:15 -0500
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: P. heterophylla

Loyd Wix <Loyd.Wix@unilever.com> wrote:
>If I understand you correctly your plant produced the off set *
>after*the tip made contact with the substrate, could you confirm >this
>please?

That's correct.

>If this is the case then your experience is
>different to mine and also I suspect Pauls. I grow two forms of
>this species the 'alfredae' form which produces new plants from
>almost every summer leaf and also the Conception Papalo plants
>which have never (so far) produced plantlets for me.

The plant has spindly, erect leaves that usually don't touch the
substrate until they die. The plantlet formed on a leaf that I knocked
over accidentally while misting the terrarium. It's the only plantlet
that has been formed since I received the plant in April. Perhaps I'll
knock over a few more leaves and see what happens. The plant is in a
warm and humid terrarium which sometimes causes fungus problems for
pings but may have helped the new plantlet form.

My clone is the one that was tissue cultured by Rick Walker. According
to Rick, his material originally came from Jan Schlauer. If anyone knows
more about the origins of the clone, I'd love to hear it. If this is
atypical behavior, perhaps a mutation occurred in the TC process.

Nick

Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@duke.edu
http://www.duke.edu/~nplummer/