Re: Tap water consequences and levitating Pings (again)

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 19:48:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 10 Sep 98 22:48 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Tap water consequences and levitating Pings (again)

Dear Miguel,

> Can you guess what happened? Those I kept with distilled water died! And
> the others continue growing! What I want to say is that my D. capensis seem
> to love compost and tap water! Even in complete shade they grow! If there's
> another theory, please say.

   How about the fact that D.capensis is a total weed? Seriously,
I think you'll find this Sundew is far easier to grow than most, probably
because it's needs are more in line with normal houseplants than with
other carnivores. Or it could it be that those watered with distilled
water were not getting any or enough prey? Did you have any other CP
with the D.capensis that died? How did they respond? It could be more
complex than just the water...

> BTW: what I said for D. capensis is exactly what I say for my Pinguicula
> oaxaca: those I keep in the Nepenthes terrarium just stopped growing.

   Probably too little nutrient in the soil, at least for your Pings.

> The others I keep in compost and tap water are huge! And the strange
> thing is that they grow without any roots, just levitating.

   Look between the leaves, and you will see roots. They look like
white hairs. They are translucent and you can easily overlook them.

> They propagate themselves by offsets a lot, but these have no roots
> and grow without even touching the soil. And so, these plants flower,
> reproduce... in the air. If anyone can explain me how they get the
> nutrients, I would be glad.

   I don't know if I can do that, but I would guess diffusion plays
a significant role. Pinguicula like Calcium (Ca++) in their soil!
Soils without it, generally don't support these plants.

   Calcium is an important nutrient for all CP's and all (or just about
all) life. However, soils rich in Ca++ don't support most other types
of CP, but it's not because of the Ca++, it's because in rich soils all
the other plants do better and grow faster than CP's, killing them off.

> I don't feed them, and they are enclosed in a glass tank, so
> they get nothing from the outside, not even eventual particles
> in the air. And believe me, they reproduce by offsets *a lot*!

Sounds great! Could you explain in detail what types of soils your
Pings have done/do well in, please? I'm too used to growing your
average nutrient-poor-soil-liking CP and am not doing as good as I
should be with a number Mexican Butterworts. How about humidity?
It sounds like your is fairly high.

Thanks,
Dave Evans