Re:Tray Method for Neps

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 19:03:28 PDT

Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 22:03:28 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Tray Method for Neps

> I don't like to keep my Nepenthes pots in shallow trays of
>water. Keeping the roots waterlogged won't compensate for low
>humidity around the upper part of the plant. In fact, I've found
>that letting the potting media dry out a little between waterings
>is better.

 I whole-heartedly agree. I know of some Nep growers that grow the plants
sitting in a tray of water, but I find this to be very dangerous. Most Neps
need a certain amount of air at the roots, and I have found stagnant water,
ie. water standing around the roots, causes anaerobic conditions that will
lead to dead Neps. I am now convinced that most Neps need aerated water,
best presented as moving water, that drenches through the pot, then allowed
to dry out- - almost. Perhaps this works so well for me because my humidity
levels generally are high. I have never seen Nepenthes in the wild, but I am
told by those who have that many grow on sloping ground. Rain water runs
around the plants and down the slope-- and this happens frequently. The only
Nepenthes I am aware of growing in standing water is mirabilis, but I don't
recommend this in cultivation.

Any other comments out there?

Until later,

Trent Meeks