Slaters and Ants

From: Brian D Quinn (coro63@pop.ihug.co.nz)
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 16:30:32 PDT

Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 11:30:32 +1200
From: coro63@pop.ihug.co.nz (Brian D Quinn)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Slaters and Ants

Hi all,

Could someone please supply a successful slater (woodlice) and ant
deterrent. I find them nesting amongst my Sarracenia and Nepenthes and while
they do no direct damage they end up giving my plants indigestion. On one of
my Nepenthes ventricosa hybrids the pitchers were all full to the peristome
with slaters and while this seems ideal, the pitchers went black and died
after a few days. This blackness then proceeded up the tendril and into the
leaves and finally into the stem!!! This happened after about five days! I
ended up losing about 50-60cm of stem growth. I cut the stem to save the
plant which survived. Something similar happens with Sarracenia pitchers and
ants and the pitchers look unattractive after a few weeks of opening.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Cheers,
Brian D Quinn
Waiheke Island,