New Subscriber

From: Steve Stewart (jsteavey@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 10:41:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 10:41:34 PDT
From: "Steve Stewart" <jsteavey@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: New Subscriber

Greetings from West Texas
        I am a new subscriber to this list and am glad to be here. I
first grew VFT's for a science project over thirty years ago-my how the
time flies! I am currently growing VFT's which I've had over 10 years
now, as well as S. purpurea, S. flava, P. lutea, D. capensis, D.
rotundifolia, D. species as yet unknown, and two Nep, also unknown. The
Nep's and unknown Dros were purchased locally under the "general
carnivorous plant" category. The Nep's are now producing pitchers and
should be recognizable before too long. I have several questions to
present to the group. First as Cp's are difficult to find locally, I am
seeking to expand my collection and interested in good recomendations
from mail-order growers. Have seen many on the Net and wondering which
were most reputable--service, quality plants, shipping methods, etc.
Next, my Nep's are outgrowing their "cage" and need to tranfer them to
another location. I would prefer an open pot, but as RH factors can get
lower than 25% here, was wondering if that was feasible. Does the tray
method work for Nep's or do they need to be raised above the water line
to keep from oversoaking? I am a new-comer to this species and would
appreciate tips in this area. I keep everything else, except S flava,
"under glass" with great results, even in dry West Texas. As it has been
100+ quite a bit this summer as well as VERY dry, I've kept everything
indoors in windowsills this season. Any advice as to upper outside temp
ranges for cp's would also be appreciated. Thanks for your help, and
glad to be aboard.
 Regards,
  Steve Stewart
  Lubbock, Texas