Re:Fla. VFT's and Lowland Neps

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 12:29:08 PDT

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 15:29:08 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Fla. VFT's and Lowland Neps

> have seen the Venus grow 4 places, like weeds, in Florida. Outside
>Sundew Bob's Greenhouse in Hudson, right next to the Gulf of Mexico.
>Selby Gardens, touching Tampa Bay. Cocanut Grove, touching Miami Marina
>and up on the Florida Panhandle

There was no name attached to this posting. Please explain in more detail
about the VFT's growing in Coconut Grove down by the Marina. I would think
it too warm in winter for VFT's down there. It is within one of the warmest
zones on the North American continent: a very narrow band clinging to
Biscayne Bay starting in Coconut Grove and running down through Cutler Ridge
to the Keys. Since this is about a forty five minute drive for me, I would
like to go check it out.

> how do I maintain good air circulation when I want to keep my
>Lowlanders very humid?

You are referring to Nepenthes here? Wet down the greenhouse floor and mist
frequently. A small, portable evaporative cooler really helps. It is
basically a fan that pulls air through a wet pad, creating a wet breeze. If
your humidity is below 50 percent it will also cool.
Nepenthes appreciate good air circulation, but it must be VERY humid air.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida